The Musings, Pictures and Battle Reports of 40+ years of Wargaming experience.

Monday, August 17, 2020

Action in the Sudan - Capt. Kylor's Rescue Mission

 The British Army Captain walked into Lord Kevin's tent and snapped to attention.  "SIR!" he said with a smart salute.

Without looking up from his reports Lord Kevin acknowledged the young Officer, "Captain Kylor, we need you to take a detachment of men and head back to that Oasis we had the scuffle in yesterday.  It seems that in all the excitement that Reporter fellow, Rutherford, got himself captured by those Fuzzy Wuzzy chaps.  He is with the enemy who slipped away from our clean up operation and they have taken up shelter in the Oasis.  We need them routed out once and for all and Rutherford freed.  I believe Colonel Mike can lend you his command, he is attending to more pressing matters.  I will allow you to take the Black Watch along too.  Those Scotsmen will keep your troubles to a minimum.  Dismissed."

"YES, SIR!  You can count on me, SIR!" the Captain replied, again saluting.  Turning on his heel he grinned and quickly left the tent......

 

My Grandson Kylor came over the day after the battle at the Oasis of Yabba Dabba Doo.  Seeing the miniatures still out (I hadn't put them away yet) he was anxious to give them a try.  I asked for a few minutes and reset the board, taking about half of the units off and setting up what would become Capt. Kylor's Rescue Mission.

 

As the Oasis came into view Capt. Kylor called his column to a halt.  In the lead rode the 10th Hussars.  Directly behind the Captain marched the men of the Black Watch.  Behind them two units of Basha Bazouks, unreliable at best they hopefully will present a good showing in this mission.  Behind them followed two columns of Egyptian Infantry.
 

This is what I had set up for my Grandson to command.  At this point I gave him the basics of Blackpowder, all the basic info a 10 year old would understand.  I then explained to Kylor what he was facing.  I think I impressed him using my laser pointer to point things out......

 

Awaiting the British were (L-R) a unit of Camel Riders, a Warband of Fuzzy Wuzzies, an Artillery piece, a Warband of Ansar and a unit of Riflemen.  Rutherford the captured reporter can be seen standing near the camels behind the artillery piece.


I explained to my Grandson that what I would do is concentrate on getting his column into a battle formation.  I explained the importance of getting his units into firing lines and that while my strength lie in close combat, his strength was in range combat and holding me at arms length.  I also told him he had to read his own charts......

Kylor went first and listened to my advise.  Through the miracle of youngsters throwing dice he was able to get multiple units to take 3 actions.  His Egyptian units were able to change into a firing line and double move.  One of his Basha Bazouk units decided to triple move without changing formation.  His Cavalry and Black Watch units advanced cautiously while the last Basha Bazouk unit failed to activate.

 

As you can see in the picture above I was able to move my Camel Riders, Riflemen and double moving my Fuzzy Wuzzy Warband before failing my Command rolls.  I had confidence in the Warband's ability to absorb a Cavalry attack so I moved them out there to entice Kylor.  Seeing me move my Warband up Kylor's eyes kinda glazed over and he began to froth at the mouth...reaching for his dice.....

Kylor took my (ill-conceived) bait.  With great glee he sent his 10th Hussars crashing into my blood-thirsty Warband.  The Cavalry had taken a hit from my Artillery fire the previous turn, but were not disordered.  I rolled first getting 5 hits on the Cavalry unit.  I didn't realize that the Cavalry got 9 DICE IN COMBAT!!!!  Kylor gave as good as he got and I lost the combat.  I rolled magnificently on my Break Test and the Warband only pulled back 1 move. 


Since the Hussars had taken so many hits they were Shaken and needed to take a Break Test.  Kylor completely muffed his Break Test and the brave men of the 10th withdrew from the game....  Cries of "Not fair!" we met by my grin.....😝

Undeterred by the loss of his Cavalry, Captain Kylor urges his men forward...



My Ansar Warband advanced and came up short of charging the Black Watch.  The Black Watch on their own iniative charged into the mob of the Madhi's faithful.  The Black Watch took some hits but held their ground.  The Ansar ran away.


It was at this point that Kylor, the avid "Fortnite" player said to me, "Is there some Med Kits or Shield pots or something that I can use to removed some of those hits?"  Laughing at the way he put the questions I replied, "Now that you mention it...."

"Forward men, forward!  Let's show them what you're made of..."  Kylor moved his fire lines into excellent position.  I continued to have the bad Command Dice luck from the previous night.


My Skirmishing rifles dueled with his Egyptian forces.  The straggling Basha Bazouks move up while (at the top of the picture) their Comrades in Arms hold off my Camel Riders until......


The Camel Riders could take no more and ran off.  That was 2 (of 3 to break) units lost.  I was in desperate straights.  I charged the wounded  but not yet out of the fight Fuzzy Wuzzy Warband at the Basha Bazouks...if I could hit them they would be easy pickings.....  


Heeding my instructions on how to remove hits from a unit, the shaken Black Watch was rallied to fighting order again and set their sights on my Artillery unit that was causing Capt. Kylor's men some grief......



Unfortunately for me the Bashi Bazouks held it together and delivered a volley of fire that cause my Warband to Break and run.....


While at the same time as the Black Watch charged, the Artillery crew joined in the flight of the Fuzzy Wuzzies...


Final score:  The British lost 1 unit and rescued the Journalist.

                     The Madhi forces lost 3 units and left the field.


But I think we both won...............


2 comments:

  1. Winners all round.

    My grandson is but 4 years old (and 1 month) so I'll have to wait a bit for this kind of experience.

    ReplyDelete