The Musings, Pictures and Battle Reports of 40+ years of Wargaming experience.

Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Gaming Models - 1940 German Armor for "What a Tanker"

     Recently I picked up a copy of What a Tanker from Too Fat LardiesAn easy game that simulates WW II armored warfare on an individual tank level.  It offers many different combatants over the war years.

https://toofatlardies.co.uk

     My problem is I didn't have many tanks available.  I have some American and German tanks for Flames of War, but what about other countries during other WW II time periods?

     Then I remembered reading on The Miniatures Page about a company that made 15mm tanks "pre-painted" for $5.00 each.  A little investigation lead me to a company called Gaming Models.

http://www.gamodls.com

     They offer resin models for the WW II years that they cast on demand.  For $5 each.  They also send them primed or painted in a base color and then washed.  They come "ready to game out of the box".  So I thought I'd give them a try.  I've never done France 1940, here was a perfect opportunity.  I ordered (for the Germans) a Pz38, a Pz IIIe and a Pz IVd.  For the French I ordered two R-35 "short" and a Char B.

     When they arrived I got exactly what was advertised.  They are not fine scale models, they don't claim to be.  They are models to be moved around on a gaming table.  They were gray for the Germans and green for the French.  I wouldn't say they were "washed", they look more dry brushed.  The casting look nice and yes they could have hit the table as is.  But I wanted to paint them up more.

     I present the following pictures of the German armor.  They are shots of the vehicles as received, shots of them after I "painted them up" and then comparison shots with other manufacturers.  Generally speaking I don't believe they fit too well with Zvesda or Battlefront (as you'll see) but they fit the purpose for which they were purchased perfectly.

Yes, I will be ordering more.  I hope you enjoy these pictures. 

Pz 38 as received


Pz 38 painted up

Pz 38: Zvesda on the left, Gaming Model on the right.


Pz IIIe as received (And yes, I have the Pz IV turret on it by mistake 😕)



Pz IIIe painted up

Pz III: Battlefront on the left, Gaming Model on the right.

Pz IVe as received (Displaying the two Pz III turrets I received, one a 37mm, the other a short 50mm.


Pz IVe painted up.

Pz IV: Gaming Models on the left, Battlefront on the right.

Next up is the French....

No comments:

Post a Comment